Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Trusting Your Intuition, Especially When it Comes to Dating

I've been out on quite a few dates in the past month. Some women I've met through friends, some I've met online and some I met out and about. What's funny is how much I've let my mind push me into doing things my intuition knows is not in my best interests. My mind says loudly "you should go out with her, she's hot (aka physically attractive)." Or it says "maybe she'll open up later and be more fun." Or any number of things. If my intuition would speak it would say "there is no connection here, this isn't working, not fulfilling." So when I listen to my mind and thoughts instead of my intuition, things are based in change, more difficult and strenuous. Like an always uphill battle. It's really about letting go control. Just like I'm finding with singing. And it's making things a hell-of-a-lot easier.

My intuition sometimes speaks in what Ariel & Shya Kane term the quiet voice, but more often for me it feels a certain way in my body. It's no joke that it's called it a gut feeling, because that's where it is often felt. Though intuition comes in many different forms and people have different experiences of it. Sometimes when I stop to ask myself a question (usually when I'm listening to the garbage in my mind) like "what do I want for lunch, what should I be doing next here at work", I will feel into my gut. A "Yes" answer feels connected, whole and complete, almost heavy in my belly. A"No" answer feels disconnected, I feel light in my stomach not solid, like a tumbling feeling.

What I've been experiencing in a very strong way is that as I follow my intuitive sense, life just flows easily from moment to moment. Not only that, but my intuition gets stronger and sharper, thus making my life even easier and more effortless. It has a tumbling, exponential effect. This isn't a formula for intuition by any means, because intuition has no formula, just like being enlightened has no formula. It's just what I've been noticing like an anthropologist. So please don't try and turn it into a formula or a belief, because you will be doing a disservice to yourself!

A perfect example of listening to your intuition in terms of dating is when Shya Kane was speaking to someone who was feeling bad about not dating, because of the way she acted around a very handsome actor she was in the presence of. He said something to the effect of "ever think that you're being shy was actually your intuition shying you away from this person, who you knew wasn't good for you? That you know information that you can take-in that is beyond what your mind can see." That's exactly what's been happening to me lately with dating. I keep trying to force myself to connect so I can fulfill my agenda, which might be attention, sex, etc. And in the end, it isn't fulfilling; I'd rather be working with technology, playing music, socializing with friends, or hanging with someone I have a connection with.

So here I sit here at home with Washburn acoustic in hand while I type this, tightening up lyrics on and rehearsing some songs. I had a great voice lesson tonight too, working on Stevie Wonder's "As". What a song! My teacher knows really how to connect a voice to a body, super-intuitive. Having a blast. :)

No comments: