Saturday, November 10, 2007

Just Being There

Hi all,

I'm really proud to share this with you. My dad shared this very inspirational and transformational story with me in response to my last post. I'm really touched by what he wrote, and he's given me permission to share it with you. I hope you all enjoy it just as much as I have. Pops, thanks so much for sharing this. I am very glad you are my dad.

Love,
David


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


A couple of days ago a situation occurred that I think applies to your latest blog:

I was in a hurry to get to the Mountain Music guitar shop so that I could drop off a guitar for restringing. I found a parking space in back of the row of shops on south College and struggled to find a way to get to the shop. Finally, I found an alley that led me through to College Avenue. Once in the guitar shop, which was very small, I noticed there was a lot of activity. Someone was playing a guitar, an older gentleman and his daughter were just leaving, and finally, a lady was waiting to talk to the owner regarding repair and restringing of two guitars for her sons. She stated that wanted to get them fixed so that her sons could start lessons the very next day. As I saw this scenario unfold, I realized that it was going to take some time, and I had a decision to make. I could butt in and try to get the owner to take the order, I could leave and come back later, or I could sit down and wait my turn. I decided on the last alternative and was glad I did. As I made the decision I stopped hurrying and came into the present.

I simply watched the interaction between the proprietor and the lady. The lady had two guitars, both acoustic: one set up for nylon strings and the other set up for steel strings. The proprietor carefully looked over both guitars. He said that the nylon stringed guitar was fine but the steel stringed was in bad shape. To further complicate matters, she said that her eldest son really wanted to learn to play an electric guitar. Also, she wanted to have her younger son also take lessons, hence the need for both guitars. The lady was in a bind, she had the two guitars, one good the other no good, but neither was an electric. She asked lots of good questions about the difference between the types of guitars. Also she asked if learning on these different guitars was transferable between the types. As the conversation went on, it became apparent the she did not want to buy a new guitar of either type. The proprietor tried to explain the differences and the similarities. In addition he stated that he had serious problems with restringing the steel stringed guitar and refused to restring it for her. The interaction between the two of them was fascinating. Both were sincere in their efforts to gain acceptance for their individual positions. She was intent on getting her sons satisfaction in obtaining lessons, and he maintaining his principles for not stringing a guitar that was, essentially, not playable.

By letting go and being there, I was able to understand the essence of the interaction. By being there I did not interfere with their interaction in a negative way. While both of them knew that I was there with them, they seemed not to be inhibited by it.

They continued to talk about the differences between the types of guitars. All the while that the two of them were discussing the situation, the other person continued to play various guitars. Apparently he was trying them out for potential purchase. The proprietor approached the man, who happened to playing a steel stringed guitar at the time, and asked him to demonstrate the difference in tone between the two types by playing the woman’s nylon stringed guitar. As he did so and the attention shifted to his playing, it seemed natural for me to call the proprietor aside to have him take my order for restringing of the guitar I had brought. We did our business and I left the shop.

I don’t know how it turned out since I left before the discussion was resolved. I do know that by being present, I took a situation that could have been irritating and frustrating and made it into a time of calmness and understanding. I may or may not ask the proprietor what happened after I left.

-Dad

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

David,
I think I'm in love with you and our Dad!
Lenore