Saturday, September 29, 2007

A Seamless Life

It's a beautiful Saturday here in New York City. I am working from home doing project management tasks, watching my favorite Soul, Funk and Hip-hop videos on You Tube, working on songs, vocals and chatting to friends. Just having a blast. Also looking to re-vamp my apt with some new furniture and colors. Everything is flowing seamlessly, a true after effect of being present and following the moment.

Earlier this morning when my mind started to complain about running errands like getting my dry cleaning, buying coconut oil for my favorite protein shake recipe and picking up hand soap, I just said "huh, look at me complaining, they're just thoughts that actually aren't me". And each time I started to complain that "I don't want to run errands now”, I just noticed again and the thoughts flowing by, and things got easier and easier. I enjoyed carrying my colorful, striped work shirts down the streets of Astoria from the dry cleaners, noticing how nice they were. I really loved going to the small deli getting a buttered roll and cappuccino because my intuition told me to do so.

This is becoming a regular way of living via the Transformational skill set that The Kanes talk about. The "Living A Magical Life" course has definitely already been taking effect since I signed up. Living is becoming more and more seamless. The division is blurring between me being a systems administrator at a law firm, and a singer/songwriter and performer. I am proud to be both and enjoy them both. It's funny how some days one will weigh over the other, which is just a signal to me that my mind is judging one as better, more secure, more fulfilling, cooler, etc, over the other. It's really cool to notice that my believing of my mind's programmed judgments is a signal that I'm listening to garbage, and not being present. All it takes is seeing that and "I'm back."


Thursday I had my first class of Committed Impulse with Josh Pais and it was awesome. It is an acting class at its root, but is heavily based on Transformation so it is all about being present. I'm still physically sore from it, as I haven't worked out in over a year; it has come at a perfect time as a reminder that I need to get back on my fitness. One really cool thing that Josh asks us to do in class: when we drift into our thoughts and go away and notice that we've gone away, to simply bring ourselves back to present and say out loud the phrase "I'm back." It is amazing how many times we all say it through a given evening, how much the mind wanders away back to the past, ahead to the future or into fantasyland. But all it takes is a simple noticing, taking your attention off or your internal conversation and into what's in front of you, or to the person that is speaking, and breathe.

And now for a musical note...videos I've been enjoying today on YouTube:

"Golden" by Jill Scott
"Dumb It Down" by Lupe Fiasco
"Gimme the Night" by George Benson
"You Got Me" by the Roots

As always, enjoy yourself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog! I like the pictures and how you embed them in each entry. Great taste.

-Madhu